Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Eastern Amberwing (Perithemis tenera)

It was difficult to approach this wary little dragonfly (he's only about an inch long) ... these were the best pictures I could get. Eastern Amberwings are not a common sight in this neck of the woods; this is normally a Carolinian species that has been extending its range north in recent years. The amber wash on the wings indentifies this as a male.


A few closeup of photos of a female. I was surprised that it let me get this near, once it almost perched on my hand.


At 10:00 am, August 12, 2009 on the north shore of Stoco Lake I sighted a teneral Eastern Amberwing to the east side of the boat ramp. Surely a teneral odonate, especially a small one, can't travel too far. Is there a small population of these dragonflies breeding in the lake?